For the month of June, I'll be donating all proceeds from my shop to the Attawapiskat Community Centre.
Zines #0-5 in my continuing series about explorations in Canada and northern turtle island. Each zine is printed, hand-bound with linen thread, and hand stamped by me.
Contents include my research and observations, including:
- sketches and personal diary entry of my exploration
- my colour photography photos and archival photos
- my personal relationships to each place
- social histories of each place
- critical reflections on my observations
- fiction/short stories
I also include a blank page in each, for you to write or draw your own thoughts in.
Set of 6 zines includes:
#0 - Queens Wharf Lighthouse, Toronto
#1 - Woodbine Beach, Toronto
#2 - Tommy Thompson Park, Toronto
#3 - High Park Zoo, Toronto
#4 - Seawall, Vancouver
#5 - Woodbine Racetrack, Etobicoke
Each zine has 16 pages, 4 sheets + colour cover. Some topics I cover through the set include:
- human/animal histories
- urban/rural divide
- indigenous solidarity
- local private development
- urban housing crisis
- human curated nature and human impacts
- human/animal/environment collaborative survival
- urban exploration and the memories of lands
- utopian futures
I am an anthropologist and media scholar with a bachelors from the University of Toronto. I use my own experience and observations from visiting each place, and I apply ideas and theories from people from all walks of life to consider the history and future of each place I visit. My hope with this ongoing project is to make interesting, easy to read historical accounts of our evolving world through personal experience - and inspire others to consider doing the same.
For more information on this project, check out my website: https://weirdgarbage.ca/